Heroes at Home
Heroes at Home is designed to meet the unique needs and challenges of military personnel and their families. It can be used in both group settings or through personal visits.
About the curriculum
The curriculum Heroes at Home: Supporting Military Families is a collection of resources and parent handouts designed specifically for family support professionals serving active duty, Guard, Reserve, and former service members.
The strengths-based Parents as Teachers approach is infused throughout the curriculum, which helps family support professionals learn about military life and culture while encouraging them to keep in mind that each family brings its own set of values, experiences, and cultures.
Through the use of these materials, you will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the cultures that surround military life.
- Explore families' everyday experiences - both positive and challenging - and their impacts on child development and parenting behaviors.
- Learn about the considerations for providing services that fit the unique needs of these families.
The curriculum is divided into seven sections:
- Development-Centered Parenting
- New to the Military
- Parenting During Deployment
- Trauma, Loss, Coping, and Resilience
- Civilian Life
If you don’t see a training near you and are interested in learning how to bring a training to your city, contact Marilyn Kugman at Marilyn.Kugman@parentsasteachers.org.