Parent Educator (Spanish-Speaking)
Position Overview: The Parent Educator is responsible for delivering all components of the Parents as Teachers model using the Parents as Teachers Foundational Curriculum, implementing the Essential Requirements and Quality Assurance Guidelines with fidelity, and collecting data required by Parents as Teachers National Center (PATNC) and Missouri Foundation of Health. This Parent Educator must be bilingual, speaking Spanish and English. This position reports to the Manager of Services for Show Me Strong Families, and is a contract position for the period of July 2018–December 2019.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Use the PAT Foundational Curriculum and resources to plan and deliver home visiting services to qualifying families, including Foundational Plans, Planning Guide, and all required forms to document family information and data.
- Maintain a caseload of 20 families, conducting personal visits (50-60 minutes in length) with each enrolled family on a bi-weekly or monthly basis, and completing a developmental/health/vision/hearing screening and family-centered assessment within the first 90 days after enrollment and at least annually thereafter for each enrolled family.
- Adequately prepare for all personal visits, which include reading appropriate parent educator resources, printing relevant handouts and gathering materials for parent-child activities.
- Clearly document details of each visit, assessment, screening, follow-up resources, etc. on forms and enter into data system within 24 hours of each visit.
- Plan and provide monthly parent group connections focusing on a minimum of one of the following areas of emphasis: parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting or family well-being. Document group connection activities and outcomes on appropriate forms.
- Develop and maintain a current community resource network system that includes all necessary information to link families to identified supports and services as needed.
- Maintain and submit in a timely way all required family and program documentation.
- Organize and inventory all program-related supplies and materials.
- Meet with supervisor a minimum of twice monthly for reflective supervision sessions, and as necessary to discuss procedures, protocol and other administrative process to ensure quality record keeping and data entry.
- Participate in the program’s monthly staff meetings and continuous quality improvement process.
- Help parents and children transition to other services as needed, such as preschool or kindergarten. This includes developing any transition plans.
- Complete annually required competency-based professional development hours to remain certified Parents as Teachers parent educator (see Parents as Teachers Core Competencies for details).
- Attend training and meeting as required by the Missouri State Department of Health and Human Services MIECHV program.
- Other related duties assigned by PATNC and the program supervisor.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education or related field.
- Experience in early childhood education, social work, home visiting and/or working with at-risk children and families.
- Must be bilingual – Spanish speaking
- Strong communication, interpersonal, group facilitation, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of the challenges engaging and serving families in urban communities.
- Commitment to building personal and organizational sensitivity towards a diverse cultural, socio-economic and lifestyle backgrounds.
Within St. Louis City to conduct personal visits and group connections. Periodic travel within the State for required training.
- Proficiency in various software programs related to job requirements, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Basic skills including web browsing and e-mail.
Ability to effectively listen, write, speak effectively, and appropriately present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae, along with names/contact information of three references, and salary requirements, to jobs@ParentsAsTeachers.org.