Marketing Communications Journalist
Position Overview: Parents as Teachers is seeking an experienced communications journalist to support its External Relations communications efforts. The selected candidate will be responsible for elevating Parents as Teachers identity and increasing its visibility through multi-channeled communications outreach including marketing, advertising, public relations, and digital communications including social media. This position reports to the Vice President of External Relations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Concept, research, develop and edit copy and content for the Parents as Teachers marketing, advertising, public relations, and digital communications efforts for the website, core collaterals such as annual report, brochures, newsletters, blogs, speeches and presentations, digital marketing, social media and other communications as needed.
- Align internal and external communications messaging for the organization and distribute strategically as relevant and needed.
- Collaborate across organization to identify and develop communications content with Management, Research, Training, Advocacy, Community Impact, Fund Development and others to support strategic efforts.
- Ensure all communications efforts support the Parents as Teachers Strategic Framework and key communication goals and are aligned with the organizational identity.
- Interpersonal Skills - Cultivates constructive working relationships, focuses on team and organizational goals; listens and shares pertinent information; uses diplomacy and tact in all interactions; handles challenges and new situations comfortably; builds consensus; demonstrates compassion and values people
- Impact Orientated- Meets and exceeds goals; sets clear objectives and measures and communicates them to team and management on a timely basis; dedicated to meeting expectations internally and externally; monitors process, progress and results appropriately
- Priority Oriented – Assists team and works with others in organization in determining next steps critical to achieve goals; overcomes challenges; maintains a focused and consistent work effort toward priorities
- Accountable/Adaptable – Demonstrates ownership of work and a positive approach to completing projects; open to change; accepts constructive feedback and makes the necessary changes to be more effective
- Consistent Communication- Always professional and understands the need to regularly, formally and informally, share with PAT teams and others to reach goals
- Resilient – Committed to deliver the very best products/programs/services; is a lifelong learner in order to maintain excellence and grow professionally
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing communications, public relations, journalism, or other related field experience.
- Minimum 3 - 5 years of experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; excellent grammar, punctuation and proofreading; working knowledge of AP style
- Excellent project management experience
- Knowledge and experience in the digital media environment including marketing techniques and digital applications to enhance communications outreach
- First-hand knowledge of public relations media outreach and media relations tools (list building, tracking etc)
- Comfortable in a dynamic, growing, and creative environment
- Strong planning and organizing skills and ability to multiple task
- Open to working collaboratively across the organization
- Innovative thinker and takes initiative to solve problems and overcome obstacles
- Detail oriented, and highly organized, with proven ability to meet strict deadlines and reprioritize as needed
- Travel requirements outside St. Louis area vary with time of year, but are generally minimal.
- Must be able to work onsite at national conference and at other specified events, as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience and knowledge of digital marketing tools, media relations software
- Basic knowledge of web-based content management systems and various social media platforms including: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae, along with names/contact information of three references, and salary requirements, to jobs@ParentsAsTeachers.org.