Position Overview: The Group Specialist will be responsible for the delivery of group connections to expectant and parenting mothers and fathers, building partnerships with other service providers in the area, and developing strong connections parents. This is a two-year grant to improve the infant vitality rate in the city of St. Louis.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement Parents as Teachers Partnering with Teens curriculum into groups where appropriate
- Act as liaison and specialist to local service providers and community groups
- Develop partnerships with local service providers and community groups
- Develop groups that will enhance appropriate and effective parenting skills for pregnant and parenting moms and dads
- Ensure parenting groups promote healthy child development
- Assist parent educators with obtaining resources within the community for their enrolled families
Education and/or Experience:
- Experience in writing and facilitating groups
- Group leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build relationships with others
- Minimum of two years of experience coordinating group focused activities, preferably in an academic or recreational setting
- Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology or related field
- Multilingual or bilingual a plus
The Group Specialist must complete the Parents as Teachers Foundational and Model Implementation, Group Facilitation, and Partnering with Teens Training before delivering Parents as Teachers services if not currently trained.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities
- Team-based or collaborative work experience preferred
- Strong communication, interpersonal, group facilitation, organizational and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of the challenges engaging and serving families/teens in urban and rural communities
- Commitment to building personal and organizational sensitivity towards a diverse cultural, socioeconomic and lifestyle backgrounds
- Ability to establish rapport with families and empower them by building on their strengths
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated (often in the field)
- Proficiency in various software programs related to job requirements, including Microsoft Office Suite, web browsing, Internet, word-processing and e-mail communication.
- Working knowledge of HTML or other web-related languages.
- Experience with both PC and Macintosh platforms.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae, along with names/contact information of three references, and salary requirements, to jobs@ParentsAsTeachers.org.