DIVERSITY IN FAMILIES, CHILDREN AND YOU
Diversity in Families, Children, and You is an online training product designed for early childhood and family support professionals. It incorporates self-paced activities and reading materials within a three-module curriculum. The responsive design format allows participants access from any device via an internet connection. The content complements the Parents as Teachers approach to parenting education for families.
Objectives of this professional development opportunity:
- Understanding dimensions of diversity, particularly as they relate to child development and parenting.
- Learning about the effects of implicit bias on young children (especially in early childhood settings).
- Identifying and addressing individuals’ own implicit biases.
- Adopting strategies for a strengths-based approach to discussing child development with parents of many different backgrounds and experiences (including low-income and at-risk children).
- Incorporating knowledge of diversity into work with families during home visits as well as group settings and family engagement efforts.
Participants will receive six professional development hours.