ABOUT OUR AFFILIATES
Parents as Teachers affiliates are family-focused organizations which have chosen the Parents as Teachers home visiting model as one of the services they offer to families with small children. They can be found in all 50 states as well as in Australia, Canada, Germany, Singapore, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Last year, they touched more than 160,000 children and their families in the U.S. alone.
Our affiliates operate in a variety of settings including child care centers, school systems, various non-profits and government agencies, hospitals, and health departments. Almost two-thirds are part of or work within other early childhood or family support programs such as Early Head Start.
WHO THEY SERVE
They serve all kinds of communities.
- The majority serve rural areas and small towns.
- Around 25 percent work in suburban/urban communities.
- Fewer than 10 percent serve major cities.
WHAT THEY DO
Affiliates operate year-round, providing monthly personal visits to families and group connections focused on parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting, and family well-being. They support parents throughout pregnancy until their children enter kindergarten. Affiliates provide health, hearing, vision and developmental screenings for eligible children using approved screening tools and methods. Parents as Teachers Affiliates also connect families to resources and help them overcome any barriers to accessing those resources.
BLUE RIBBON AFFILIATES
To help ensure that Parents as Teachers affiliates are achieving fidelity to the Parents as Teachers model and facilitate continuous quality improvements – and children and families are thereby receiving the highest quality services possible – Parents as Teachers developed the Quality Endorsement and Improvement Process. Parents as Teachers affiliates are required to engage in the Quality Endorsement and Improvement Process in their fourth year of implementation and every five years thereafter.
To earn the Quality Endorsement, affiliates must complete a comprehensive self-study and review process that demonstrates they are meeting or exceeding the Parents as Teachers Essential Requirements, along with at least 75 of the 100 Quality Standards.
Programs that earn the Quality Endorsement are recognized by the national Parents as Teachers office as exemplary Blue Ribbon Affiliates, delivering high-quality services to children and families.
Current Blue Ribbon Affiliates are:
- Arizona’s Children Association (AZ)
- Families United Parents as Teachers/Family & Intercultural Resource Center (CO)
- Strengthening Families Parents as Teachers (GA)
- Alton Community School District - Prevention Initiative (IL)
- Riverbend Head Start & Family Services Head Start/Early Head Start (IL)
- Right Steps Family Center (IL)
- Wayne County Family Enrichment Program (IL)
- Peoria County Bright Futures (IL)
- Winfield Parents as First Teachers (KS)
- Goddard Public Schools Parents as Teachers (KS)
- Pro Action Early Head Start PAT (NY)
- Smart Start of Brunswick County/North Carolina Partnerships for Children (NC)
- Springfield City Schools Service Center (OH)
- Greater Nanticoke Area School District (PA)
- Region 10 Education Service Center Head Start (TX)
- Easter Seals of Rio Grande Valley, ECI Program (TX)
- Parents as Teachers of Catholic Charities San Antonio (TX)
- Lamar Consolidated Independent School District (TX)
- Allegheny Highlands Parents as Teachers (WV)
- Children’s Home Society of West Virginia (WV)
- Bentonville School District (AR)
- Silver Lane School PAT/East Hartford FRC (CT)
- Rockdale Co Public Schools PAT (GA)
- ICARE Parents as Teachers (ID)
- Starting Points/Collinsville Community School District Unit #10 (IL)
- Task Force For Prevention: Illinois School Dist. 103 & DVCC (IL)
- Family Center School District 65/Prevention Initiative (IL)
- Catawba County Early Head Start (NC)
- School Readiness Program/Davidson County Partnership for Children (NC)
- The Children’s Center (NC)
- Smart Start of Mecklenburg County (NC)
- Caring For Kids (NJ)
- Armstrong Indiana Intermediate Unit 28 (PA)
- Cameron County Family Center (PA)
- Early Head Start- Parents as Teachers/Council of Three Rivers American Indian Center (PA)
- Charleston County First Steps (SC)
- First Steps - Parents as Teachers/Beaufort County First Steps (SC)
- Any Baby Can (TX)
- Catholic Family & Child Service PAT - Yakima/Catholic Charities (WA)
- Muscogee County Learning Together (GA)
- Family Support Council (GA)
- Family Literacy (IL)
- The Center (IL)
- Columbia County Family Centers (PA)
- Erie School District/Erie Family Center (PA)
- Fulton County Family Partnership (PA)
- McKean County Family Centers (PA)
- The Guidance Center (PA)
- Salt Lake CAP Head Start (UT)
- Family Services of Grant County EHS (WA)
- First Taste Program (IL)
- Jump Start, Easter Seals Joliet Region (IL)
- Parents as Teachers First Years (IL)
- Parents As Teachers Early Learning Center/Springfield Public Schools #186 (IL)
- P.E.E.P. (Pembroke Early Education Program)/Pembroke Community Consolidated School #259 (IL)
- Project H.O.P.E.-Birth to Three Program/West Chicago School District #33 (IL)
- Smart Talk Parental Support Program/West Harvey-Dixmoor School District #147 (IL)
In order to maintain their blue ribbon status, affiliates must continue to meet the Essential Requirements.
A list of all seventeen Essential Requirements can be viewed here.
Our affiliates employ around 10,000 professionals called "parent educators" who are highly educated and work directly with families through home visits.
- More than half have bachelor's degrees.
- About 15% have advanced degrees.
- All receive ongoing professional development and meet annual recertification requirements.
- More than two-thirds are employed full-time.
- About 20% are bilingual.